Information Regarding Posting of QR Codes by Commercial Cannabis Retail Licensees
The Bureau of Cannabis Control (Bureau) is encouraging retailers open to the public to post a QR Code certificate that consumers may scan with their smartphone camera when visiting a commercial cannabis storefront retailer to confirm licensure. Participation in this effort by retail licensees will assist consumers in purchasing legal cannabis goods. Licensees are also encouraged to educate their customers on how to use the QR Code and the importance of shopping at a licensed retailer. The Bureau is providing licensees with an enlarged version of their individual QR Code (QR Code certificate). Storefront cannabis retailers are encouraged to assist the public by prominently displaying their QR Code certificate on the licensed premises in the following manner:
• The QR Code certificate should be visible and scannable from outside the premises.
• The QR Code certificate should be printed on paper not less than 8 ½” by 11”.
• The QR Code itself should not be less than 3.75” by 3.75”.
• The QR Code should be posted in the front window of the licensed premises or in a locked display case mounted on the outside wall of the licensed premises within three (3) feet of any public entrance to the licensed facility.
• The QR Code should be posted in a manner that is clearly visible from outside of the licensed premises by all persons entering the premises and shall be of sufficient clarity that the code can be read by a smartphone or device capable of reading QR Codes from a distance of at least three (3) feet.
Consumers can confirm that the retail location is properly licensed by using a phone camera or QR Code app to scan the QR Code certificate. Once scanned, the consumer will automatically link to a URL that confirms the cannabis retailer’s license status. The website will display the address and business license of the location to ensure that the retailer at that location is licensed. By providing commercial cannabis consumers with an easy method for verifying licensure status, the Bureau and its licensees can work together to reduce the potential risks that may come from the purchase of non-compliant cannabis goods from unlicensed retailers.
Click the video below: